Saturday, August 14, 2010

Masty Matters

Being groped by a statue...This was taken the day before my surgery...
Yesterday was exactly ONE month since my surgery...And to celebrate this occasion, my body decided to get sick! YAY!! How nice, huh!? Throwing up, fever, nausea....The whole SHABAAM! Not to mention body aches, which made my foobs hurt and cramp even more than usual. It was an awesome day....I got to spend it bent over my commode, and every time I hurled, the pressure of doing that felt like it was going to make my foobs EXPLODE out of my chest....And the constant feeling of nausea-Nothing in the world comes close to that one, let me tell ya!

So yea, all in all, yesterday SUCKED ASS! I have been back at work for 2 weeks now, and am planning on returning back to seeing patients next week, but then this happens.....I hope it's just a 24 hour type of thing, which means I should have 1 more hour of feeling crappy..Haha. I doubt that's the case, but we shall see.

Anyways, the other day I tried sneezing and I discovered that it is next to impossible to sneeze when you have these expanders in....And this got me thinking to do a blog, dedicated to describing things that you can and cannot do after having this surgery...(Bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction done with tissue expanders) I just throw that in, in case you are new to this blog...Then you have some catching up to do!

So here it goes.....I will go ahead and go back in time and go back to one month ago....

*Immediately following my surgery-DAY ONE AFTER SURGERY
Things I could do                                                        
-Raise my arms up to do my hair                                                                                   
-Wipe my own butt after peeing                                               
-Feed myself                                                              
-WALK      
Things I COULDN'T do
*Change clothes
*Empty my own drains
*Get in bed by myself
*Poop                                                                
                                                                                    
                                                      WEEK ONE AFTER SURGERY
Things I could do
-Bathe myself without the help of Bryan                        
-Drain my own drains                                                   
-Put on button up or zip up tops                                    
-Sleep in my own bed instead of couch                         
-Do light chores (unload dishwasher, dust, etc)         
Things I couldn't do
*Poop (Yea. I didn't poop until 8 days after surgery. Talk about traumatic. It's because of the anesthesia and the pain meds....)
*Change into my clothes by myself
*Get into a car by myself
*Drive
    
                                                     WEEK TWO AFTER SURGERY
Things I could do
-Sweep the floor (very slowly)                                   
-Do laundry                                                                                  
-Cook light meals   
Things I  couldn't do
*Poop regularly.....Even with stool softeners.It was bad.
*Lift myself up with my arms..At all
*Open a water bottle child proof medication bottle.
*Sleep on side  :(                                                       
                                                                                      
                                                                                    
                                                    WEEK THREE AFTER SURGERY
Things I could do
-Pick up dog poop (not happy to do this)                         
-Drive! It is painful though.                                               
-Kind of sleep on my side....Not very comfy though          
-Go back to work  (In the office)                                                
Things I couldn't do
*Lift more than a milk jug without severe pain
*Hold a baby
*Vacuum
                                                     WEEK FOUR AFTER SURGERY
Things I could do
-Vacuum house (painful though)                                          
-Go shopping with the kids by myself and                          
  push the cart with kid in it                                                  
-Close the back door of the Tahoe. WHEW!
Things I couldn't do
*Sneeze
*Lift more than 20 pounds..

So that is to give you an idea of things I have and haven't been able to do this past month...I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out, but I can't remember it all right now. It's been an interesting past month....When I think back to all that I have gone through this past month, I can' t believe that it's only been a month. Day by day, I guess, and trying to just do what I can with what each day gives me.....I'm just thankful I can poop now...