Thursday, June 24, 2010

Save the TaTas?

I used to have a bumper sticker/magnet on the back of my car that read, "Save the TaTas!"  (Save the boobies, in other words-breast cancer awareness....DUH!)  That bumper sticker fell off in an automatic car wash about a year ago, and just today, I saw a car with the same one on it and it got me thinking... I kind of feel like a hypocrite....I'm not saving my tatas...Not only am I NOT saving my boobies, I am completely doing away with them, just so that I won't have to worry about getting cancer in them in the future....How is that for NOT "saving the tatas"? Geez, that's harsh....

I guess when I put it into perspective, I am not saving my tatas, in order to possibly save my life, so that makes it okay. That is the BIG perspective....When I put it into little perspective, all I am having done is a simple bilateral mastectomy....All they are doing is taking my breast tissue off my body.....Not a big deal...

I had my pre-op appointments these past 2 days, and the reality of all of this is starting to really set in. The scariness of it is really starting to hit me and starting to make me nervous. But I just have to remember to be in control and remember that I am the one that has control of this situation. I am the one in the driver's seat. 

At the pre-ops, I signed all of my informed consent forms, which basically were the papers in which I signed to give the doctors permission to remove my body parts....(One part of it said exactly this: "I consent to the disposal of any tissue or body parts which may be removed from my body.")   WHOA.....Now when it's laid out there, on paper, like that, it is a little freaky...And morbid...And this is coming from me....A nurse..I like morbid.....But I guess knowing that it's MY body parts/tissue, it's just a little freaky....But anyways...Everything was explained to me, what to expect the day of surgery/after surgery, the first week, blah, blah, blah.....I signed everything, and now all there is left to do is wait...Wait and be nervous..That's it....Easy enough, eh?



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Angela - I don't think any of us would ever call these things we do easy.In fact it's probably the hardest thing we'll ever have to go through in our lives. But I can tell you that in a few months from now you'll feel like yourself again - well, yourself without the fear of breast cancer always nagging at you. Best of luck to you for a surgery that goes perfectly and a textbook recovery. I'll be thinking of you.
Teri