Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Butterfly Kisses

For the last week, every single time I go outside with my kids, a big butterfly flies by...It it HUGE and it typically looks like a monarch-type of butterfly...Now, I'm not a butterlyologist or anything, (Yes, I'm not a moron, I know there's no such word as that), and I don't even know if Monarch butterflies are native to New Mexico, where it has been 110 degrees lately by the way!....But this same butterfly has flown by me several times, ONLY when I'm outside with my kids, the last 4-5 days.......Today was when something clicked in my head.....

It's been said that butterflies can be a symbol or "personification of a person's soul"....Meaning that if you see a butterfly, it might just be someone that has passed away, visiting you..(Their soul in the butterfly=personification)...I don't know if you believe in this type of stuff, or "beyond the grave visitations", or so some may call them, but I do....I believe that our loved ones that have passed on can visit us in our dreams, can leave signs for us in our daily lives to show us that they are okay, and can even use butterflies, of all things in my particular situation, to send us messages-from beyond the grave...

Now back to my story...This butterfly that seems to be stalking me for the past couple of days-Could this be my mom? It wasn't too long ago that she visited my little brother in his dream and kind of gave him peace, and a type of closure. Mom, or should I say, this butterfly only "visits" me when I'm out with my kids....So maybe I'm looking at it wrong...Maybe my mom is "visiting" my kids.....Is the butterfly really my mom?

Or is the butterfly just a butterfly?

I don't know, but I'd like to think that it's my mom. For the longest time, I've wanted to get a tattoo of a butterfly, with a pink ribbon for it's body....I've always thought it would be the perfect tattoo, because of the meaning of the butterfly (for my mom), and the pink ribbon (for my mom).....I guess I feel like I have a deeper connection now with the pink ribbon because of the whole BRCA stuff, and getting a PBM  is probably the most drastic, radical, insane steps a person can take at preventing breast cancer. (And wearing a pink ribbon=breast cancer awareness/prevention/research).......

I hope I see that butterfly tomorrow and the next day and the next day and the next day and so on...That butterfly is not just a butterfly to me...Some people might think that I'm crazy to think that seeing this butterfly for a couple of days in a row can lead me to think that it's a sign from my mom....But, in my opinions,her wings have brought her all the way down from heaven for a quick visit each day, and for that, I am thankful..Sometimes we have to be still, be quiet and look for those subtle, quiet signs that someone is watching over us at all times.....Everything is going to be okay.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's really sweet, Angela. I lol'd at the butterfly stalking you part. ;)

I think it's really nice for you to associate it with your mom.

And I love the idea of a butterfly tattoo - I have one on the back of my neck, but it's not as cool as they one you are thinking about. :)

Teri

Anonymous said...

Oh, and thanks for adding my blog, and the BRCA Sisterhood to your blogroll. You rock! ;)

Anonymous said...

I have a butterfly tattoo on my ankle already, and it was kind of a spur-of-the-moment thing when I was in college....(I also have an angel tattoo, that an old boyfriend bought me as a birthday gift....Haha)..But I have been wanting this particular tattoo for a while, and with this butterfly "stalking" me, I think it is just confirmation that my mom is with me more than ever, every day of my life.....

Rachel said...

awesome. that is so cool about the butterfly symbolism.

can i just share...that my brother got married this year and i remember seeing a butterfly hanging around.

i even mentioned at one point to my brother that it was mom looking down on us.

well...the most amazingly cool thing happened during one of the photos of my bro, posing with me, our sis, and his new wife:

http://www.facebook.com/index.php?lh=8efb030709c547f98d927e16305e3935&#!/photo.php?fbid=10150273331990577&set=t.713220513

the link should work for you because we are friends on facebook. if you can't see it, just as the photographer was taking the picture of us, a butterfly flew into the range of the photo and is captured hovering right above my brothers head.

now that is the coolest way of our mom saying she was with us that day in spirit!

rach