Saturday, April 3, 2010

GENEducation

Okay now...So are some of yall out there confused or wondering exactly what being positive for BRCA1 or BRCA2 means?  Yea, you don't have to lie...I know you are..Even my own husband still gets confused about what the whole thing means. (Afterall, he is a man..) I mean  it's genetics, and there is nothing simple about them. Hopefully I can explain it without sounding like a boring ass teacher or something....So here goes......

All of us have these BRCA genes...(BReast CAncer genes). Yes, even guys! (Men can be positive for these genes too!) These genes within our DNA are tumor ninjas. If a tumor starts growing in our body, primarily in certain areas like the breasts and ovaries, but also in other organs, these genes trigger something in our bodies to kick their ass, and stop their growth from getting out of hand, and becoming cancer...In other words, these BRCA genes are tumor suppressors. They suppress tumors. Alright...Got that much down?? Okay....Next...

In some people, these BRCA genes are messed up for some reason...There is a mutation in them. It doesn't do it's job in kicking ass. It can't stop those tumors from growing, once they start to grow. (FYI-Every single day, our bodies and immune systems kill cancer cells) .Once a tumor starts to grow in the breasts or ovaries primarily,  if not caught in time,  it can spread to the lymph nodes, and once that happens, it metastasizes (Spreads to other organs, basically the tumor becomes it's own organ with it's own blood supply, and the cancer spreads throughout the body if not treated.) Scary stuff. 

The main difference between being positive for  BRCA1 and BRCA2 is that:
-BRCA 1 has a higher risk of ovarian cancer
-BRCA 2 has a higher risk of breast cancer
BUT being positive for either one means you are at risk for both cancers... I read that the 1 in ever 850 people is positive for BRCA1, and 1 out of every 1250 people is positive for BRCA2. And yes, it is possible to be positive for both gene mutations. 

As for me, I am BRCA2 positive. My mom was BRCA2 positive. She was 32 when she was diagnosed with hormone sensitive breast cancer. That is 6 years older than I am right now. Scary shit. It's not fair. That's all there is to it. It wasn't fair that my mom died of breast cancer. It's not fair that anyone dies of breast cancer.  That's why I consider it a blessing that I know what my future holds. And it's a future that I can change for the better.  How fair is that?

I know that if my mom could have taken this genetic test and known her fate about getting breast cancer at age 26-Ten years before her BRCA2 gene couldn't do it's job- she probably would have opted to have her breasts removed...And she might still be here today. But life didn't work out like that, and she's gone....But I do know that she is with me everyday, and is helping me make these tough decisions. I inherited more than just a mutated gene from my mom, I inherited her stubbornness,  and because of that, I refuse to let cancer be a part of my life again. And if that means I have to do something as SIMPLE (in retrospect to life), such as having my boobs removed, then I'm doing it. Bring it on! 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there - great job on trying to educate everyone. Just wanted to let you know that your statistics above are slighting erroneous. According to current statistics, both BRCA1 and BRCA2 have the same lifetime risk of 87% of breast cancer. BRCA1 has about a 44% lifetime risk of ovarian cancer, and BRCA2 is about a 22-27% lifetime risk of ovarian cancer. These are just general guidelines though, as each of us have our own individual 'statistics' though most of us never really know for sure what they are.

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck in your BRCA journey and thank you for doing your part in trying to help others..

Teri

aslatenrn said...

Thanks, Teri. Even though I am trying to "educate" people on this stuff, I am still educating myself on all of the statistics and stuff. Like you said, we all have our own individual statistics and factors that we have to consider. My doctor told me that because my mom tested positive for BRCA2, and because she actually did have breast cancer, that my personal risk increases. That's why she said I have the 87%-95% chance. I wish it wasn't increased, and I wish none of us had to deal with this crap, but yes, like I've said, we are a blessed group of women who can take fate in our hands!

Thanks for the comment, and thanks for all you do, too, Teri! I admire you and your courage!

Anonymous said...

That's how it is for most of us - me too - in educating ourselves, we can educate others too. I have a lot of admiration for those that want to make something positive out of their own negative experiences.

I wish it weren't true too, but as you said, at least we have the knowledge - that's part of the battle right there.

See you around the BRCA world! :)