Monday, April 19, 2010

Mounds of Happiness

Don't you just love my beautiful new shirt? Do you think it'll start a new trend? It opens up in the front, is botton-less, zipper-less, and is disposable, so that you don't ever have to wash it.....Ha! Just kidding...I'm not trying to start a new trend or anything like that, this was me at my consultation visit with my plastic surgeon...I was about to show her my beautiful boobies, so that she can get a feel, (no pun intended :)  of what type of reconstruction I want, and that she thinks is appropriate for me......

Before all of this BRCA positive junk, I always said that I was going to get my "boobs done" one day...I just never thought I would have to have them taken off first, in order for them to get "done". I always imagined sitting in the plastic surgeon's office, discussing saline vs. silicone, which size cup I wanted, etc...(Come on, I'm sure every woman with boobs has thought of this...Especially if you've had kids!) .Instead, I am sitting in the plastic surgeon's office, and while we DID discuss those things, we also discussed how my expander implants will have to filled every 2 weeks, and how my boobs, (well she kept calling them "mounds", which I don't like) will be nipple-less for a while, and how after she does the second surgery to put the more permanent implants in, then she will wait 2 months to do yet ANOTHER surgery to make a nipple on each "mound". And then how I will have to find "someone" to tattoo areoleas on my boobs because she doesn't have the equipment to do that.....(And of course in my mind, I envisioned myself having to go to some thug tattoo/piercing shop, going in saying, "Uh, can ya'll tattoo areolas on boobs?")  So while it is like getting a boob-job, it's quite different......But oh well...This is my choice, and I want my scary boobs off..

The PS (plastic surgeon) was totally supportive in my decision to have this surgery and feels that having the immediate reconstruction  with skin sparing mastectomies, with tissue expander implants will be best for me..I've already done all my homework, read books and stuff, and going in to the visit, I already knew that this was what I wanted...She said that I didn't have enough abdominal fat/tissue to do a DIEP or TRAM reconstruction..BUT she did keep remarking on how "saggy" my breasts were....I guess plastic surgeons don't really have a filter when it comes to remarking on how bad your boobs look or whatever pre-surgery...Maybe it's a psychological trick they use, so that you will love your new boobs.....Hell, I will love my new boobs, (mounds...Haha), no matter what because I will have a decreased chance of getting breast cancer with them! HELL YEA!

So all in all, I really liked the doctor that I saw this past week. She was smart, she was cool, despite some weird remarks about my boobs, she was young, and she is experienced in this surgery....She showed me pictures of  past patients of hers with PBM with immediate reconstruction and I was impressed....So things are coming along.....Now we are just waiting on a date and that will be that....I am planning on June because we just bought a house and I want to move before having the surgery and stuff....Day by day by day by day...........

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha. I can just imagine walking into some sketchy tattoo shop and asking for areola tattoos. Ohhh man.

I'm glad the appointment went well and you're moving forward with everything! YAY for getting the scary boobs off! :)

aslatenrn said...

Thanks! How are things with you?

Anonymous said...

I went the skin sparing/nipple sparing route, though I did have enough fat for DIEP - funny - my PS said "You definitely have enough extra fat for the DIEP." So I know what you mean about no filter! lol

Best of luck to you!